International Rugby Board representatives are to travel to Fiji next month to investigate issues surrounding the management and governance of the Fiji Rugby Union amid fears the country could be banned from participating in the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand.
The IRB said in a statement today that chief executive Mike Miller (pictured right in above photo) and regional general manager for Oceania William Glenwright would meet with senior FRU representatives early next month to discuss its concerns.
"The IRB does have concerns that the current situation could create instability and have a negative impact on the management of the union and key IRB-funded development and high performance programmes and also Rugby World Cup 2011 preparations. These concerns have been communicated to the union, who have fully assisted with our ongoing enquiries," the statement said.
The FRU and the government have been at loggerheads since the country's Commerce Commission conducted an investigation into a lottery held to raise funds for the World Cup.
The government said earlier this month it would give F$3 million ($NZ2.11m) to help prepare the team for the September 9-October 23 tournament, but only if the FRU board resigned.
The board and FRU chief executive Keni Dakuidreketi all resigned and a special board meeting was due to be held next week to elect new board members.
The Fiji Sun, however, said on their website the interim board had rejected Dakuidreketi's resignation and cancelled the meeting following a letter from the IRB.
Fiji have been drawn in Pool D with South Africa, Wales, Samoa and Namibia for the World Cup. (NZPA)