Coupfourpointfive can tonight reveal the identities of the five assessors in the conspiracy trial of 8 men, including high chief Ratu Inoke Takiveikata.
All 8 were last week found guilty by the five assessors and Justice Paul Madigan of conspiring to kill military commander and the regime's self-appointed Prime Minister, Frank Bainimarama. Their sentences ranged between 7 years and 3 years.
Coupfourpointfive can also confirm tonight the assessors were chosen by Ana Rokomokoti. Rokomokoti holds the rank of a Major in the army and is Chief Registrar as well as Chief Magistrate.
Sources say it is highly unethical for an army officer (who was appointed by the military in the first place to the position) to choose the assessors for a trial involving the military, in this case her boss, Commodore Bainimarama.
The five assessors are:
1. Sainimili Miller Smith (Date of birth 19/3/1956) F/N William Miller. She is the wife of Fiji hockey team coach Hector Smith.
2. Gabriel Bingwor (Date of birth unknown) F/N James Bingwor. He is believed to be in his late 30's and works for a shipping agency.
3. Ravuama Tuinavanua (Date of birth 28/10/1981) F/N Ravuama Tuinavanua Snr. He is believed to be an employee of Fiji National Provident Fund.
4. Salis Anita Devi (Date of birth 11/3/1967) F/N Dwarka Prasad.
5. Kushma Wati Dutia (Date of borth 19/9/1960) F/N Brij Mohan.
At least 3 of the assessors or their family have close acquaitance with Commodore Bainimarama, either through friendship or as a former student of Marist Brothers High School. Bainimarama is an ex-student.